Sunday, July 23, 2006

WEDDING BELLS....CAN IT BE TRUE?


Just over two years ago now, my daughter Caitlin began dating a seemingly fine young fellow named Rocky. When she brought him home to meet me for the first time, I was quite impressed. Rocky was polite, clean-cut, and articulate. He made appropriate eye contact, smiled affably, and had a nice firm handshake. He seemed to be a bright and industrious lad.

Of course, it took me a little while to make sure that he really WAS a fine young fellow, and that he wasn't pulling an Eddie Haskel on me. After all, it is my job, as a father, to be something of a professional skeptic. Although I may not always be particularly vocal about my initial impressions, I am not easily won over. Just because a young fellow doesn't have his hat on sideways doesn't mean that he automatically passes muster with me.

As I got to know Caitlin's new beau over the next couple of years, I found him to be as good as advertised. I found him to be honest, responsible and reliable. The more he appeared at our home--which became a very frequent occurrence indeed--the more I liked him. He revealed himself to be an old-fashioned gentleman. Most importantly, he treated my daughter with concern and respect. As I watched their relationship develop, it became abundantly clear to me that they were in love.

I was thus not entirely surprised a month or so ago when Rocky asked for a private meeting with me. Once we were alone, he told me that he planned to ask for my daughter's hand in marriage, and that we wanted to ask for my approval. I must say that I appreciated that gesture very much. How many young men do that these days? And, since Rocky and Caitlin are both adults who are in love and seem to know what they want, how could I do anything other than to give my unqualified blessing?

And so it is that, one week ago today, Caitlin and Rocky became engaged. They will be married next June, shortly after Caitlin finishes her junior year at Bellarmine University. She is determined to finish school on schedule, and Rocky totally supports her in that goal.

It seems unbelievable to me that Caitlin is now engaged. It truly feels as if one moment she was playing with dolls, and the next she was all grown up. Such is the way of the world, I suppose.

In any event, I am pleased for Caitlin and Rocky. I think that their future looks extremely bright, and I am excited for them.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't agree with you more. Time sure does have a way of moving quickly in these instances. Let me also say congrats to Caitlin and Rocky. I too am very excited....Uncle Reegs

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another Cat fan in the family! Hurah!! Tubby Smith

8:40 PM  
Blogger Jonnah said...

I can't believe she is already getting married...It makes me think that I might be growing old. I am very excited for her.

~Jonnah

8:38 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton outlet, nike air max, louis vuitton, replica watches, burberry handbags, longchamp outlet, ugg boots, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, nike outlet, jordan shoes, louis vuitton outlet, prada handbags, prada outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet online, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, oakley sunglasses, kate spade outlet, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses wholesale, chanel handbags, louis vuitton outlet, nike air max, christian louboutin uk, christian louboutin outlet, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, uggs outlet, christian louboutin, polo outlet, uggs on sale, longchamp outlet, gucci handbags, replica watches, christian louboutin shoes, tory burch outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, tiffany jewelry, burberry outlet, uggs outlet

10:48 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

nike free run, vans pas cher, ralph lauren uk, hollister uk, burberry pas cher, hollister pas cher, north face uk, michael kors, polo lacoste, nike air max uk, timberland pas cher, nike air force, nike tn, nike free uk, true religion outlet, sac vanessa bruno, nike air max uk, ray ban uk, coach outlet store online, lululemon canada, ray ban pas cher, longchamp pas cher, true religion outlet, replica handbags, true religion jeans, nike blazer pas cher, air max, michael kors, oakley pas cher, coach purses, michael kors outlet, converse pas cher, sac hermes, coach outlet, polo ralph lauren, sac longchamp pas cher, nike air max, north face, guess pas cher, hogan outlet, true religion outlet, jordan pas cher, mulberry uk, new balance, nike roshe run uk, nike roshe, kate spade, louboutin pas cher, abercrombie and fitch uk, michael kors pas cher

10:49 PM  
Blogger Ideal Assignment Help said...

Thanks for sharing this kind of information. Many students want assignment help but they don't know how to get the right information for Assignment Help. Now we have here contact our expert team and get the best and high-quality assignment help. You have also visited our website IdealAssignmentHelp

2:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home